Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Oh, What Might Have Been

There have obviously been a lot of great boxers over the years; Joe Louis, Rocky Marciano, Muhammad Ali, Sugar Ray Robinson, Henry Armstrong, Carlos Monzon, Sugar Ray Leonard, Marvin Hagler, Roberto Duran (as a lightweight, I'm saying), Alexis Arguello, Roy Jones Jr., etc., etc. (please, forgive me if I've omitted your favorite). But, if I had to pick out only one as the best, I think that I'd have to go with 1980s featherweight champion, Salvador Sanchez.........................................................................................For those of you who are too young to remember, Sanchez was the featherweight champion from February 1980, all the way until his death (from an automobile crash) in August of 1982 (nine successful title defenses were registered). His overall record was 44-1-1 (his only loss coming in 1977 - at age 18 - to the much more experienced bantamweight champion, Antonio Becerra, a split decision no less) with 32 knockouts. Among his victims were Danny "little red" Lopez (from whom he took the featherweight title from, and whose face was twice turned into hamburg), Rueben Castillo, Juan Laporte (ultimately a champion himself), Wilfredo Gomez (previously thought of as indestructible), Pat Cowdell (an Olympic medalist), Jorge Garcia, Roberto Castanon, and, yes, perhaps most impressive of all, future hall of famer, Azumah Nelson (Sanchez's final challenger)...............................................................................................But even more impressive than all of this was the classy way that he went about it. Sanchez, folks, was a consummate professional - inside the ring and outside, too. He was voted by Ring magazine as boxer of the year in 1981 (sharing that honor with Sugar Ray Leonard). And, yes, folks, in 1991 he was finally elected (posthumously) into the Boxing Hall of Fame - an extraordinary accomplishment for somebody who only lived to be 23. Who really knows how truly great he might have become.

7 comments:

Commander Zaius said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Commander Zaius said...

A uncle of mine who passed in 1979 was really into boxing because of being involved in it while in the navy.

My grandfather, him, and I would watch the old "Wide World of Sports" when it had boxing and I admit it was a kick hanging out with them. Now its $50 pay-per-view and seems silly. Times change I guess, Hell wrestling, which use to be the ultimate poor man's sport is getting the same way.

Will "take no prisoners" Hart said...

Yeah, I don't follow boxing at all anymore. I mean, I know about Paquiao and Mayweather and stuff but closely follow it, I don't. The late 70s and early 80s - now that was the golden age, especially for the lighter divisions; Arguello, Duran, Sanchez, Gomez, Lupe Pintor, Carlos Zarate, Cornelius Boza Edwards, Bobby Chacon, etc.. They, double b, were warriors.

cosmiccowboy said...

Let me tell you two....this past Sat. Manny Paquiao drew over 50,000 plus millions on pay per view.I gladly forked over the 50 bucks. It was the fifth highest live gate in boxing history.

If Floyd Mayweather ever grows enough balls to fight Paquiao the live gate could come close to 75,000 with the largest pay per view buy ever.That aint cheese boys.

Will "take no prisoners" Hart said...

Paquiao is an absolute buzz-saw. No question. The only thing that concerns me is the fact that he has been stopped twice. Is there, I'm wondering, an issue with his chin/defense? I'm just asking.

cosmiccowboy said...

He has'nt lost in over 5 years.And he's fought guys way bigger then himself.

I like him,reminds me of Reberto Duran.

Plus Manny gives a lot back to his people and he's running for Congress.

For someone in the fight game he's fresh air.

Will "take no prisoners" Hart said...

Oh, I like him, don't get me wrong. And, yes, the comparisons to a pre-bloated Duran are spot on. I, like you, don't think that Mayweather wants to deal with him, period.