Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Miscellaneous 7

1) I don't know about the rest of you but, in my mind, one of the more memorable clips from that health care summit was the one in which Senator McConnell started bitching and moaning. You remember it, right - the part in which he started whining about this supposed lack of time that the Republicans were getting to plead their case? Yeah, huh. Well, guess what, folks, the guy was being a complete/total/petty asshole/nincompoop. This, me-buckos, in that, yeah, he was actually including the President's opening (and, yeah, mostly nonpolitical) remarks as part of the Democrats' time block. But, clearly, even more egregious than that was the idiot's obliviousness as to the purpose of the summit. It WASN'T supposed to be a debate/public spectacle. It was supposed to be a negotiation. And while, yes, I'm totally aware that the Democrats treated it like a circus, too, I'm sorry, Mitch McConnell - he sure as hell gets the biggest turkey award in my mind, hands frigging down!.....2) Not that I recommend dumping trash into the ocean, mind you, but, please, you gotta trust me on this one. Whenever you do dump it in, the trash - it goes in EVERY direction, not just to the left/right. And, yes, so, too, is it unpredictable. This, in that just when you think you've got a handle on it.........3) I have to admit it, folks, I actually kind of liked Rachel Maddow at first. I found her to be witty, nice, and, yes, even a little open-minded at times. But now, I don't know, I'm not nearly so certain anymore. I mean, seriously, have you seen her lately? She has gotten to be as incessantly (not to mention, sarcastically) partisan as any of them. And the fact that she seems to be so incredibly pleased with herself - THAT is starting to get me a little queasy, too. Thankfully, the woman got "schooled" a little bit the other night. She had Democratic party chairman, Tim Kaine, on. And, yes, of course, she had to tell Mr. Kaine just how disappointed she was that the President has decided to support the moderate Democrat, Blanche Lincoln, in the Arkanasas primary. Mr. Kaine, trying to be diplomatic, responded by pointing out the obvious. He told her that this whole "left-right and center" thing is a highly relative concept, that it ultimately hinges on factors such as geography, etc.. Fair enough, right? Ms. Maddow's response? Yeah, you got it, a quick commercial break.

4 comments:

Commander Zaius said...

I've given up on politics, 99.9% of the sorry shits on both sides are crazy, criminal, incompetent, perverted, or any combination of the four I just mentioned.

Will "take no prisoners" Hart said...

The last guy I really liked was Paul Tsongas (1992). I did like Powell, but that U.N. speech he gave instead of resigning (prior to the Iraq War) ruined it for me. Big time.

Commander Zaius said...

Yeah, I was disappointed about Powell but he had never had any future in the republican party. getting close to the 1996 election when I was a full-fledged Limbaugh listening conservative even then good-old Rush was making "hints" about Powell and letting his callers say even more outrageous things.

This was the period when Powell flirted with running for POTUS and later when Bob Dole was busting a gut to get the man on the ticket because polls showed Powell as his running mate the only way Dole had a chance to beat Clinton.

Powell's speech to the UN sold me on the war because while I'm not in any way 007 I had seen enough satellite photos when I was in the army where you could read the numbers on the top of Soviet tanks so I bought the story about Iraqi WMDs hook, line, and sinker.

Along those same lines the NASA instruments that let their probes remotely sense the atmosphere and mineral content of other planets and moons work just fine as well checking out supposed mobile weapon's labs and bunkers.

Yeah, I saying there was no damn mistake with intelligence but that is all water under the bridge.

Tsongas was a good man, his passing was tragic.

Will "take no prisoners" Hart said...

Very interesting insights, double b. As to why Mr. Bush took these specific actions, there are so many competing theories from which to choose from; avenging his father, "besting" his father, an attempt to geopolitically remake the region, oil, the fact that Bush may have been an affable, not particularly partisan simpleton who allowed himself to be co-opted, etc., etc.. My hunch is that he invaded Iraq, well, because he could. He thought that it would 1) be easy and 2) make him look strong against terrorism (hence helping him politically). If he knew (and, yes, a person with a strong foreign policy acumen would/should have known) that 5,000 soldiers would have had to die for this decision, who knows, maybe he would have decided differently. I'd like to think that he would have.