Wednesday, March 2, 2011

What Are the Odds?

When people talk about regressive taxation, one of the forms of it that frequently gets forgotten/ignored are the state-run Lotteries. I mean, I know that it's not technically taxation and all (this, in that the people who play the lottery do in fact get a service OF SORTS) but, still, it is in fact money that the state collects from its citizens. And, yes, folks, it is indeed regressive (this, according to virtually every study out there - seemingly)..................................................................................................Now, granted, the money (at least in Connecticut) does go to funding some good things like public education, etc. but, still, I'm not entirely sure about it. I mean, the mere fact that people are being impoverished by something that's basically akin to legalized gambling - that fact alone kind of give me the creeps.....................................................................................................P.S. I actually do have some first-hand experience with this. I used to work part-time in this package store, back when I was younger. And, yes, me-buckos, it's a fact. Most of the people who bought these lottery tickets, the scratch-off/instant ones especially, were clearly from the working class. And a lot of them were frigging borderline addicted, too. I especially remember this girl who lived right up the street. She'd walk in with 30-40 bucks and, yep, you got it, more often than not, leave with ZERO. I even remember trying to get her to slow down (a fact that my boss probably wouldn't have appreciated)/take a frigging brake or two. But she couldn't. SHE COULDN'T STOP SCRATCHING. It was sad, I'm telling you; her situation, and the fact the government was making a killing from it.

5 comments:

The Prophet Dervish Z Sanders said...

A blog post I actually agree with you on... Although I don't know if the government makes a "killing" on state lotteries, do they? I'm against them regardless.

Commander Zaius said...

I'm mixed about all forms of lottery but I admit I play the lotto occasionally just to have some "daydream" material. The idea that one day I could freely tell all the morons and buttholes I know where they could go after all those lump sum millions are safely in my account is a fine way to relax every now and then with a couple of beers.

I never waste more than two dollars on the lotto and while I have played the scratch off games I can't remember the last time I did.

As for all the millions the lottery is suppose to generate I have no idea where it goes although South Carolina has an "education" lottery and teachers down here are still buying supplies for their classrooms with their own money. And NO, they are not getting it back, I know two teachers and both buy supplies with their own money. My wife and I regularlly cough up both bucks and supplies when notes come home asking for help.

Will "take no prisoners" Hart said...

wd, the state of CT makes millions and millions on the lottery. That's close enough to a "killing" for me.......I have mixed feelings, too, double b. While I'm troubled by the regressive nature of the lottery, and the fact that we're encouraging something that some people get addicted to, the millions of dollars that I don't have to contribute to in taxes (I DON'T play the lottery) is majorly nice. That, and the libertarian side of me says, "Yeah, go for it."

John Myste said...

The state lottery especially takes advantage of the desperate people who cannot afford it.

You are right. It is not taxation. However, it is exploitation.

I suppose if we give the money back through social programs, it is not all bad. I know what you are thinking: "Leftist liberal idiot!" If I am right, then my job is done. Actually, I would say “proud leftist liberal idiot” would be a better description.

Will "take no prisoners" Hart said...

I've read your stuff over at HR. You're definitely not an idiot, dude.