Friday, March 18, 2011

No Loser, He

I've heard it said that sports and crying are somehow incompatible (I mean, we all remember Tom Hanks in "A League of Their Own"). And while I can in fact sympathize with that "rule" to a degree, I wouldn't go as far as to say that it's a hard and fast rule. Take, for example, Princeton's young head coach, Sydney Johnson. His team just lost to a much more highly touted Kentucky team in the first round of the NCAA tournament - and it was a heart-breaker, 59-57. Johnson did his best to contain his emotions at the post-game press-conference but, ultimately, he broke down. But it wasn't so much that he and his team lost. It was the fact that he was proud of his players and the way that they acquitted themselves. You see, folks, this isn't just a job for Mr. Johnson. Princeton is HIS school. Remember back when Princeton upset UCLA (the defending NCAA champions) in the first round of the 1996 tournament. Sydney Johnson was the leading scorer on that team. He (as he said after Princeton beat Harvard this year to win the Ivy League title) loves Princeton basketball....He loves it and it shows.

1 comment:

Dervish Sanders said...

Remember back when Princeton upset UCLA...

No, I do not.

I've seen the movie "A League of Their Own". I know who Tom Hanks is. As for this "Sydney Johnson" character... I've never heard of him.