Sunday, July 6, 2008

Things to Get Off the Chest

So much to say, so much to frigging say. Where do I even start? Let's see, how 'bout with the Nazi innuendo? Seriously, folks, I know I've written on this topic before but it definitely bears repeating. Nazi innuendo, whether it's coming from Bill O'Reilly or elsewhere (i.e., from far-left bloggers whose capacity for critical thinking and decency has clearly been eroded by repeated exposure to "doctrine") has no place in reasoned political discourse. I'm asking you, I'm pleading with you, condemn it - wherever/whenever you encounter it. This, I'm saying, in that if in fact you don't, you're just as good as condoning it.......................................Let's see, topic number two, that would have to be this guilt-by-association "hamster-wheel" that both sides are still embracing. Not, or course, that ALL of it is invalid. John McCain's hiring of one of the guys that "swift-boated" Kerry in '04, for example (McCain himself having personally condemned this group), could in fact be criticized on both decency AND hypocrisy counts. But a lot of it shouldn't, in my opinion, go beyond the much more innocuous charges of "business as usual"; Obama's moronic minister, McCain's having played footsie with Hagee, stuff like that. Give it a mention and move on, I'm saying..........................................On a related topic, I'd like to talk about friendship. I don't know if a lot of people are aware of this but, yes, sometimes people with different (even antithetical) political views can still be friends. I mean, look at William F. Buckley and Daniel Patrick Moynihan, Pat Buchanan and Michael Kinsley, etc.. Hell, even Ronald Reagan and Tip O'Neil, after a rough and tumble day negotiating in Washington - even they would frequently kick back with a beer or two together. Are you trying to tell me that those two were politically compatible? Give me a break. Yes, folks, there is more to life/friendships than politics.........................................One final point I'd like to deal with involves certitude/absolutism/the fact that I'm basically getting sick if it/etc..I mean, seriously, if you listen to the bulk of these extremists, there is absolutely NO GRAY (never mind a double-edged sword) ANYWHERE!! Walmart is good. Walmart is bad. The oil companies are good. The oil companies are bad. Free-trade is good. Free-trade is bad. The federal government is good (benevolent, if you listen to certain people). The federal government is bad.. I'm telling you, folks, it's enough to make you want to leave home boy............................................P.S. And what about, too, folks, the fact that Dean Acheson, even after Alger Hiss was convicted of spying, refused to throw him (his friend) under the bus. You better believe there's more to life than politics. Cliffy.

No comments: