Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Sean Hannity - Civil Libertarian?

Look, I have no problem with a fellow like Rand Paul expressing concerns over President Obama's kill list, his drone strikes, his targeting of Americans, etc.. Mr. Paul is a principled libertarian and I have zero doubt that he would be making these same criticisms even if the President in office was a Republican. But Hannity and his recent outrage pertaining - I ain't buyin' it. The fellow had eight long years in which he could have criticized Bush on a whole host of questionable policies and he never once uttered a peep. Yes, there's clearly been hypocrisy on the left here, too (the fact that Bush was pilloried for water-boarding and Obama is skating) but, being that I'm equal opportunity....

7 comments:

Barlowe Bayer, A Very Stable Genius said...

Why would he have criticized bush? Do you see a problem with using drones to kill terrorists? Seems to me that this might be one of the few things Obama is getting right.

Les Carpenter said...

I think the point is hypocricy. Clearly something Hannity excels at.

Will "take no prisoners" Hart said...

I have mixed feelings about the drones, Barlowe. On the one hand, I'm as much for blowing up terrorists as the next guy but on the other hand I'm a little bit fearful that the policy may actually be creating just as many (maybe more) enemies as it's killing. Only time will tell, I guess.......Exactly, Les, and both sides (with the exception of guys like Rand) are exceedingly guilty of it when it comes to civil liberties.

dmarks said...

I don't think it creates enemies. After all, the terrorists do this by hiding among civilians. But I do have concerns about the civil liberties aspects of going after Americans without some sort of rigid protocol.

Will "take no prisoners" Hart said...

Like I said, dmarks, only time will tell (my suspicion is that the civilian deaths will be blamed on us - not that that would be justice of course).

Rusty Shackelford said...



Why do you guys drone on and.....drone on and.....drone on?

Will "take no prisoners" Hart said...

You're right. We should definitely take a powder, huh?