Saturday, May 12, 2007

Crumbling Reflections

Bill, just because the scientists can't explain EVERYTHING, that does not, my friend, give YOU carte blanche to fill in the gaps with absurdities. I mean, don't get me wrong here, maybe there is in fact a powerful/ unknowable transcendental force out there - dwarfing us, etc.. I don't know. All I'm saying is that for guys like you to assume that this force is nothing more than the spitting image of Bill O'Reilly (Bill O'Reilly on some sort of cosmically-derived steroid, no less) is itself absurd.............And the absurdities - they don't stop there, either. For just as the canons of science, I'm saying, fail to explain the world in it's complexity, so, too, does the bible itself....discombobulate, at times. Not a lot on the vastness of the universe, for example, the gazillion other places where this supposedly divine creation could have also taken place, the dinosaurs, for Christ!! And don't even get me going on Noah's Ark (this, I'm saying, in that, think about it, by the time he collected even two from every insect species on the planet, those collected at the beginning of the search undoubtedly would have either crawled off or died, causing him to have to start the process over again, ad infinity)............But even if you had in fact been able to keep it on the philosophical track, O'Reilly, the only thing that you can seemingly muster here is a dusting off of that old "watch-maker" theory. Yeah, that's right, the oooooooold debunked/ discredited Design Argument that nobody, NOBODY in his right mind (ah, yes, the operant term) uses anymore. I mean, look, I know you have a friggin' need for this stuff. It gives you comfort, strokes your ego, and buffers you. Fine. I'm fine with that. All I'm saying is that you shouldn't intellectualize it, defend it intellectually, etc.. That is just NOT something that even a true believer (a "believer", I'm saying, as opposed to a "knower") can sustain indefinitely. Which leads ME to ask YOU, Bill, who in the hell created God? I mean, seriously, something as intricate as that MUST have had a creator. And who in the hell created................

No comments: