Friday, May 13, 2022

This from James Lancia's Jaw-Dropping Memoir, "Downtown White Police"

......we all turned to see a young black woman wearing a nurse's uniform walking on the sidewalk towards us. She was pushing a baby in a stroller, which was a rare sight. We watched her approach, wondering what her gripe would be. When she reached us she stopped the carriage and smiled, flashing beautiful white teeth at us.
  "I just want to let you know, you officers are doing a fine job. It's good to see you out here and I finally feel safe. I could never walk my baby in her carriage before today. Thank you."
   I actually tipped my hat to her and said, "You're the first person who ever thanked us for anything out here. If anybody ever bothers you, let me know." She smiled again and walked away. We were all quiet for a while after that. It was really hot that day.

  Every once in a while I come across something that doesn't make me want to slice up my wrists and this was one of 'em. Hopefully you enjoyed it, too.

No comments: