Sunday, January 12, 2014

On Blogging and the Internet

They have totally revolutionized society. But they've also provided a forum and source for idiots and miscreants who've never actually opened a real abstract or journal article and whose angry, bitter, and incoherent "missives" even their local Podunk newspapers would have thoroughly rejected. If I were to give the consumers of this garbage some advice, it would be the same as with anything; proceed with caution and, yes, if it looks, acts, and talks like a douche, it more than probably is.

4 comments:

Marcus said...

Will: As you know I've toyed with the idea of a blog for some time...Just can't make myself do it. Don't need the drama, insults and non stop partisan BS. Found a new hobby...algebra and calculus. If you're gonna deal with "absolutes" it might as well be real.

Will "take no prisoners" Hart said...

I liked your idea about just doing one on movies (Montgomery Clift's performance in "From Here to Eternity"), art (Camille Pissaro's snowscapes), and music (Tchaikovsky versus Mussorgsky, Stones versus Beatles, etc.). I really think that that would be a winner.

dmarks said...

Mussorgsky probably has one of the best, weirdest titles of a piece of music in all classical music history.

Marcus said...

A culture Blog is OK but even here people tend to have strong opinions and/or are easily offended. Thing is, I do have things I want to say politically...As someone who tends to sympathize with Liberals I feel Progressives are often portrayed in a nasty, unfair way. I don't think Progressive ideology is a perfect sphere (Nothing is really...)but I do think it's intent is worthwhile. I try not to think of Conservatives (or libertarians for that matter.) as the "enemy." I think no matter what philosophy one embraces there are things that are possible and some that are not...this I believe is what George Kennan called "Real Politik", a concept sadly missing from todays political dialogue...hence I try not to get involved....it too over the top.