Sunday, June 8, 2008

Penalty Wars

One of the most idiotic utterances ever by a United States President, folks: It comes courtesy of Jimmy Carter in 1979. It seems, folks, that, during the Iranian hostage crisis of that same year, Carter was reminded that this particular action by the Iranians could in fact be pay-back for our overthrow of THEIR government in 1953 (coupled, of course, by our installation of the miserable Shah in its place). Carter's rather terse response to that hypothesis? "1953, that's ancient history."....................................Wow, huh, ancient history, 26 years? Only in America, folks. Only in America could 26 years be considered an eternity. Of course, now that we're 29 years removed from THAT traumatic event (one, in other words, that was devastating to us), we seem to have developed a slightly different perspective.....................................Not that we've learned anything from that experience, mind you. This, I'm saying, in that we're still trying to impose our will on the rest of the world, still ignoring the possibility that these actions may in fact come back to haunt us (as they did in Cuba, as they did in Iran, Vietnam, Afghanistan, etc., etc.).....................................It all makes me think back to George Bush, the candidate, folks, his insistence that America put forth a far more humble foreign-policy, specifically. Oh well, at least we have Obama now. Here's to hoping that that fellow, if in fact HE gets elected, has at least some capacity to learn from the mistakes of his predecessors - and NOT, I'm saying, think that William McKinley (a starter of 2 unnecessary wars), for example, is something from the distant past, ancient history, etc..

6 comments:

Utah Savage said...

Will, I would comment more often, but you buddy Zoltan keeps me away. Don't want him following me home, so please delete my comment when see it up.

I'm inviting you to read my piece today. Please drop by.

IrOnY RaGeD said...

Wow, for someone who brags about their ability to offend others, you sure get easily offended yourself don't you?

And please don't overrate yourself sister, I don't follow anyone home. Especially aging hippy chicks.

Will "take no prisoners" Hart said...

Come on guys, don't fight. I'm a centrist, so I don't have a lot of friends. I even miss Mike, for Christ sakes (Tom, not quite as much LOL).

IrOnY RaGeD said...

No fight here Will,

I'm just amazed that she's such a timid creature, kept away because others have different opinions.

And the fear that someone would want to follow her home...

Says something about strength of convictions and ego doesn't it?

Don't worry about MY friendship Will, my convictions and ego don't require the agreement of others.

IrOnY RaGeD said...

Maybe I ought to "follow her home" though, just to get her over her fear...

Would she grow a spine or just fold up her little blog?

Hmmmmm...

LOL, god I love these here inter tubes!

Will "take no prisoners" Hart said...

The thing is, I've had debates with her, too, and it's been cool. I'm kind of surprised by the reaction. I'm a peace-maker (except with the LC crowd, the hell with them), though, and it'll be cool again.