Thursday, April 26, 2007

False Double Standard

Let me break it down for you, Bill. Race and ethnicity, those are what we call immutable traits, characteristics about which a person in fact CANNOT change. Religion, that, on the other hand, is a belief system, a paradigm about which a person makes sense of the world. And since it is, I'm saying, a process in which people think (or not) and reason (or not), it certainly shouldn't be held to the same level of reverence - comparable to that which IS innate. I mean, don't get me wrong here. I think that to a degree we should respect a person's individual beliefs. But if, I'm saying, another person finds those beliefs.......not only to be absurd but intolerant and dangerous (the pope dissing on birth control, for example) as well, certainly you cannot begrudge that person an opportunity to underscore those absudities. And, besides, its a little something called free speech, dude; going around saying that the world isn't flat, etc..

No comments: