Saturday, April 26, 2014

The Man Who Beat Floyd Mayweather

While I may not be as big a boxing fan I used to be, I still follow it to the extent that I can tell you two important things. a) Jose Luis Castillo is one of the finest boxers of his generation (yeah, he's stuck around a little too long but they all do) and b) the dude walloped Floyd Mayweather in their first encounter back in 2002. I make this claim in that not only was Castillo the aggressor throughout the fight, he landed (per Compubox) 107 more power punches (173 to 66) and even connected with a higher percentage (40% to 35%) than Floyd did. Of course, the biggest indicator that this was a shitty decision (yes, Mayweather was awarded the decision) was probably the fact that the Las Vegas (Floyd Mayweather's home town) crowd even booed the thing. Now that is bad.

2 comments:

Les Carpenter said...

I remember Floyd Paterson - Sonny Liston. Stopped following the fight game when it became all glitzy BS. I did enjoy the golden glove matches and the Ali, Frazier, Formen fights. Oh yeah, Sugar Ray Leonard too. Haven't seen a fight in over 15 years.

Will "take no prisoners" Hart said...

The second Pacquiao-Marquez fight (when both were in their prime, 6-7 years ago) was an absolute classic but I agree that the golden age of the '60s and '70s was better overall.