Saturday, January 17, 2009

Not Just Another Sports Analogy

I was a huge Pirates fan, folks - all through the 60s and 70s, especially. IN FACT, if it hadn't have been for Clemente, Stargell, and Mazeroski, I'm not even sure I would have made it through that period, period! I especially remember that 1971 World Series. The Pirates were down to the Orioles, two games to none. And, yes, to make the matters worse, the Pirates were starting a rookie pitcher, Bob Johnson, in game three. Clemente (in his usual broken English, mind you) sizes the scenario up nicely. "If he no pitch well, we in big, big, trouble (obviously, I'm paraphrasing).".........................................................Well, guess what, folks, it's '71 again. Only this time, it isn't a sporting event we're dealing with. This, I'm saying, in that, think about it - U.S. voters (myself included) have decided to put into the presidency a fellow with about the same amount of experience in his field as Bob Johnson had on the mound. The positive thing to draw from this, OF COURSE, is that not only did Johnson win game three, but the Pirates as a whole won the series (4-3). Who knows, maybe Obama (who, yes, seems like a very smart man) and the country can replicate the scenario. Here's to hoping anyway.

No comments: