Thursday, April 24, 2008

Scoop Jackson, Me-Buckos, All Because of Him, I'm Thinking

I don't know, folks, the thing that most infuriates me about the whole labeling process, regarding politics, is how the criteria for what defines these labels changes - conveniently so. I mean, I can personally remember a time when conservatism meant such things as staying out of foreign entanglements, balancing the budget, keeping a distance from people's personal lives, etc.. But, no, all because it's a Republican President who this time gets us into a quagmire, everything, damn it, has to change. Conservatives now believe in nation-building, don't give a rat's ass about deficit-spending (feeding at the trough to "bridges to nowhere", etc.), and, yes, worst of all, think it's a cool thing to go AROUND the law to spy on people. I mean, I don't know about you, folks, but, Bush, he ain't anything resembling a conservative in my book.................................P.S. You all remember the 1964 Republican nominating process; Goldwater versus Rockefeller - Goldwater, the conservative/libertarian candidate, Rockefeller, the northeastern liberal who, despite this, still believed in tight money budgets. Well, let me tell you something, folks. I just can't conceive of either one of these fellows having a contentment with what's been happening of late; current Republican positions, policy trends, etc.. Not, I'm saying, that they'd necessarily want to be Democrats, either (that party having its own warts and inconsistencies to deal with, obviously), but, come on, guys, Goldwater, Rockefeller, Bush Jr., that doesn't even sound right, for Christ! I mean, seriously, does it to you?

No comments: