Saturday, June 11, 2011

Hands Off, Abdullah


I was listening to Carrie Newcomer (one of my top 3 female singer-songwriters; her, Neko Case, and Patty Griffin) today, and there was this one lyric, in particular, that floored me. It was from a great a song entitled, "Where You Been" (from an equally great album called "The Geography of Light"). In it, the woman puts forth a scenario in which "Muhammad was feeding popcorn to the pigeons and the sparrows" and which "all of us crazy, holy, hungry, ones were looking for something better."..........................................................................................................You see where I'm going with this, right? Yep, all that I could frigging think of was "what if the extremists ever heard this (in fairness, she was also challenging other forms of present-day dogma and, yes, also referred to Jesus and Buddha - not that the extremists would necessarily notice this, mind you)"? Man, would they ever be pissed. I guess that it's a good thing sometimes to be obscure/to put forth an art-form that the masses, en masse, simply can't comprehend.............................................................................................................P.S. Just for the record (no pun intended) here, folks. If the extremist ever did try something with Ms. Newcomer, they had better take this fellow out as well. Jihad? I will give them Jihad.

4 comments:

The Prophet Dervish Z Sanders said...

I don't really care for lyrics that need deciphering. I'll pass on this Carrie Newcomer chick (whom I've never heard of) altogether AND the Elton John song cited by dmarks.

The CDM said...

Religion. The biggest lame excuse for war EVER. Fighting over who has the best imaginary friend.

Lyrics possibly insighting outrage in either Muslims or Christians just goes to show that even now, we haven't progressed much as a species.

There used to be a saying: "If you don't like it, there's the door." It's like people want to go out of their way these days just to get riled up over something. Are we that bored?

Will "take no prisoners" Hart said...

dmarks, and there weren't any Buddhist terrorist bombers when the Taliban blew up that Buddha statue, either.............The reason that you've never heard of Carrie Newcomer, wd (I've never seen a person who makes up their mind about new things, ideas, etc. as quickly as you do, btw), is because the woman doesn't do pablum or pop spew. Why don't you at least sample her over at Amazon before so quickly writing her off like this?............CDM, I think that Van Morrison had it about right when it comes to religion; "No guru, no method, no teacher."

The Prophet Dervish Z Sanders said...

Will: I've never seen a person who makes up their mind about new things, ideas, etc. as quickly as you do, btw.

Because I said I'd pass on Carrie Newcomer?? It just so happens that I've got plenty of music to listen to (my CD collection is over 4K). Anyway, I went to her website and listened to some samples... nothing grabbed me.