Thursday, June 17, 2010

Miscellaneous 13

1) Look, folks, I know that Sean Hannity doesn't like the President. He's absolutely made that clear. But, really, don't you think that maybe, JUST MAYBE, he could take a tiny fraction of that bile and throw a little of it over at BP? I mean, they're the ones who created the mess; took all of those frigging the short-cuts that started the leak, mismanaged the clean-up (at least initially), etc.. Does EVERYTHING have to be an Obama slam-fest? Apparently, huh?.....2) Believe me, people. I want clean energy as much as anybody. I certainly want to get off of fossil fuels as much as anybody (this, and not have to deal with countries that hate us). But, I also have to tell you. Charles Krauthammer (a person who usually irritates the hell out of me) said something the other day that really got me to thinking. He said that, " You cannot legislate scientific advancements." I fear, folks, that he may in fact be right. I mean, sure, you can subsidize one invention over another and do it in that manner. But then you've got the government picking winners and losers - something that they're not necessarily all that good at. Ethanol, anyone?.....3) Is there anything, folks, that ISN'T a double-edged sword. I mean, seriously, just take a look at some of these proposed "solutions" to the BP oil disaster. Many people (myself, included) have been advocating a 60-day moratorium on deep water oil drilling in the Gulf - a pause, so to speak, just so we can figure out how to proceed here. But now I've been hearing that such a pause just might end up ruining the economy down there (so dependent the Gulf's economy is on oil production) - even more that it already is BECAUSE of the spill. It's like, we just can't seem to frigging win for losing these days. God give STRENGTH to President Obama. PLEASE!!

6 comments:

Commander Zaius said...

While I feel I hit the president very hard on your previous post the sophomoric and racist-tinged opposition by the fools Charles and Sean does not give me hope that the republicans would be much better.

Will "take no prisoners" Hart said...

Indeed, they'd no doubt be worse......Me, I'm kind of hoping that Mr. Bloomberg gets in (obviously in a third party capacity). Yes, he's an egomaniac/sometimes even dictatorial. But, damn, he knows how to manage and get things done. After Bush and Obama, would that not be at least somewhat refreshing?

Oso said...

Will,
" You cannot legislate scientific advancements."

That's an excellent point. I believe the majority of us ( and I'm as guilty as any) are waiting for a miracle invention to save the day.

You elaborate a bit on how the government might theoretically pick winners and losers, and that's a pretty horrifying thought. I'd assume they'd base any decision on lobbyist contributions, but even if it was an honest decision when one considers their track record-it's horrifying.

Joe "Truth 101" Kelly said...

To comment on the legislating scientific advances thing Will; businesses lobby the hell out of government for tax breaks and incentives to develop scientific advances. Good old fashioned entrepreneurship is all but dead.


I'd be angry at the hypocrisy of traditionally republican party voting business people demanding government welfare while they complain about the single mother or whatever strawman or woman they create. But my love of good irony just makes me laugh about it.

Will "take no prisoners" Hart said...

Oso, I'm beginning to think that we're damned if we do and damned if we don't - regardless of whatever it is we do. Like with this whole deep-water drilling thing. Common sense says that we should stop it, at least for the short-term. But then you hear from people down there that that would devastate the region even more. Nuclear power - there are plusses and minuses to that. And now some people are even bitching about windmills! It's nuts, I'm telling you.

Will "take no prisoners" Hart said...

Truth, I do have SOME liberal positions. Like, I don't know, maybe public financing of elections. Granted, it's not a panacea. But it'll at least get some of the big money out.