Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Something to Chew On

O'Reilly actually posed an interesting question to his viewers the other day. He wanted them to think of the top three people that they would like to sit down and share a meal with (three separate meals). His personal choices were Christ, Mohammed, and Benjamin Franklin....................................................................................Me, I had to think about this one for quite some time. I obviously wanted somebody who was smart and interesting but also somebody who was accessible/tangible (people like Einstein and Popper being far too lofty, people like Nietzsche and Kierkegaard being far too paradoxical). I ultimately decided on David Hume, Frederic Bastiat, and Greta Garbo (the stipulation here being that I could get her to talk) - the first two because of the clarity of their thought and Garbo because who in their right mind wouldn't want to talk to her (her alleged affair with Dietrich, legendary performances in "Camille", "Grand Hotel", etc.)?...So, anybody else out there want to take a stab at this?

7 comments:

Unknown said...

This is a tricky one and there were so many people that I wanted to write down. I had to think hard about this one for a few minutes, but I really feel that I would want to share a meal with Groucho Marx first of all because of his long lasting influence on comedy.

Cato the Younger sounds like an interesting historical figure I would want to share my lunch with and have a conversation with. I don't know that much about Roman history, but he seemed to stand out a lot for his moral character. They named the Cato Institute after him apparently.

My last choice would be Alfred Hitchcock and if I could, I would want to share lunch with both him and his daughter Patricia who appeared in Strangers on a Train I believe and several other of Hitchcock's films. Lauren Bacall, who I now have as my profile picture, also came to mind and I could have mentioned one of my favorite musicians, but they just didn't seem right enough for me.

BB-Idaho said...

Hammurabi, St. Paul and Carl Sagan.
(If that proved boring, my second team would be Stan Musial, Maimonides and Madame Curie)
...who chooses the wine?

Will "take no prisoners" Hart said...

Interesting choices (Stan Musial, the fine art of hitting for sure) and I'm just going to have to bone up on some of these. Thanks guys.

Marcus said...

Arthur Rimbaud, Jack Kerouac and Bertol Brecht...

Will "take no prisoners" Hart said...

Not Stan "the man" Staziak, Baron Mikel Scicluna, and Butcher Paul Vachon?

dmarks said...

D.B. Cooper. I'd ask him one question. I have yet to think of the other two men/women.

Will "take no prisoners" Hart said...

Some of my other possibilities are Montgomery Clift (an alcoholic male version of Garbo), Elia Kazan (classic films, his involvement in the red scare, etc.), Flannery O'Connor (my favorite fiction writer), Mort Sahl, Neko Case, Van Morrison, Frank Weston Benson, Felipe Fernandez-Armesto, and Alan Watts.