Friday, December 18, 2009

Remote Choices

I did something the other night that I'm extremely proud of. I skipped Chris Matthews/"Hardball" and opted instead for the final 50 minutes or so of "The Rainmaker" (on TCM). Let's just say that it was a very good choice (and, yes, a fortuitous one, too - only discovering the film via channel surfing). I mean, sure, I had in fact seen the film previously and all but, still, after all these many years/viewings, damned if it still wasn't fresh. This, and, yes, Burt Lancaster's performance was actually better than I thought (no, not as good as his performances in "Elmer Gantry" and "Sweet Smell of Success" but, still, extremely solid). He even did that frigging laugh, for Christ! Bottom line, folks, it wasn't a contest..........................................................................................P.S. I'm assuming that it isn't necessary to inform you that Katie Hepburn was also superb. I'm assuming that, yes, you've assumed that (that, or you've already witnessed it for yourself) yourself (she was, by the way).............................................................................................Oh, and, yes, just for the record, I think that I just might take some more of these breaks (from partisan politics). In fact, I think that we probably all should - from time to time, at least.

3 comments:

Oso said...

Burt was great in Trapeze.
Hah hah hah.

Will "take no prisoners" Hart said...

I suspect that you may have been slightly more interested in Gina Lollabrigida. Correct? Gee, I wonder if her and Sophia ever made a movie together.

Oso said...

She was beautiful too!
Any flick with the two of them-and Claudia Cardinale.
Don't get me started man.