Saturday, August 6, 2011

Heaven/Earth/What Lies Betwixt the Ears

We can never know with certainty what motivates a politician. And whatever opinions that we do have pertaining to it are largely based upon whether or not we like/support that person. People who like Obama, for instance, say that his motivation for wanting a long-term debt "solution" was to help the economy and those who don't like him say that he was driven by politics (not that these two goals are always/necessarily mutually exclusive, mind you).....................................................................................................And it has ALWAYS been this way. Just take Mitt Romney's father, George, like his son, a moderate northern Republican Governor. The elder Romney (again, like his son) was a Mormon, and a Mormon during a time when the church actively discriminated against black people. But this same individual also marched with Martin Luther King and advocated for civil rights. So, was he putting a stick in the eye of the Mormon elders by doing this and was he sincere in his quest to secure these civil rights , OR was he simply trying to score political points? I have absolutely no idea and I suspect that I never will.

4 comments:

Les Carpenter said...

I would like to think George was sincere in his motivations. Perhaps at this point it doesn't matter really. But I'm positive his marching with Dr. King was the right thing to do. And I'm fairly certain the Church felt old Georges' stick in their eye one way or the other.

As the world turns...

The Prophet Dervish Z Sanders said...

Will Willard march for marriage equality and gay rights? No, because doing the opposite will score him political points with the Republican base.

Les Carpenter said...

w-d - And here I thought I was insufferable cynic...

Will "take no prisoners" Hart said...

I think that most of us have the cynicism gene to one extent or another. As for the Huckabee family, I still prefer the elder.