Friday, July 1, 2011

Browsing/Touring/Vacationing is Believing

Bank Street in New Milford (CT) and Main Street in Essex (CT) are two of the more upper-crust streets in America. And I'm telling you here, folks, I have actually seen some empty storefronts on both of them this year. For anybody to say that this recession hasn't been a bad one (and I seriously doubt that there are still people who would) is nuts!...................................................................................................P.S. Some of the more hitting-home casualties for me; one of my favorite Indian restaurants (Poughkeepsie NY), one of my favorite Italian restaurants (Gloucester MA), and one of my favorite art galleries (Essex CT). Shit the frigging bed - each and every one of them.

2 comments:

Commander Zaius said...

For some here in South Carolina this recession was icing and the cherry on a very, very old cake.

The little town of Chester, South Carolina saw the majority of its businesses up and leave for overseas shores from the early 1970's to the late 1980's. I posted about a visit to a bed and breakfast located there a few weeks ago but while I mentioned the town being frozen in a time warp and largely looking like a ghost town I did not say anything about the five large textile mills that had closed up decades ago.

Now throw in the current recession, which residents openly state is sending the young people far and wide in search for jobs and a few worry Chester might become a real ghost town.

Will "take no prisoners" Hart said...

That's incredible, double b, an entire town shriveling up like that. And now we've even got people throwing the term, "double dip" at us. Batten down the hatches even more, I guess.