Sunday, November 15, 2009

Poop-Shoots

I love it, folks. You've got all of these bidders for the meat industry (many of whom are also ridiculers of vegetarianism, btw) going around saying that there are just as many vegetable sources of E-coli as there are meat sources. And, yes, me-buckos, they're saying it all with a frigging straight face, too. It's like, what-up - they think we're frigging stupid or something? Obviously, some vegetables HAVE been contaminated with E-coli. But it isn't the vegetables that cause it. It's the frigging cow and pig shit (excuse my French but, yes, I'm a little bit pissed right now) that runs into the fields that causes the vegetables to get contaminated....But, seriously, though, nice try, defenders of the meat industry, agribusiness, factory farming, etc.. Very nice frigging try indeed.

5 comments:

Oso said...

Will,
good post.I'm one of those "almost" vegetarians which I suppose you could point out means I'm not a vegetarian.Soy is the protein of choice (or corn/beans/whatever)the vast majority of the time though.
I hadn't heard that claim of e-coli in vegetables but I'm glad you rebutted for my own knowledge.Saw Food INC with my daughter.Good,informative movie.

Will "take no prisoners" Hart said...

This is one of my liberal (very liberal) positions, to say the least. I was happy to see former V.P. Gore finally addressing it on Larry King (this, in that the UN agricultural report specified that the meat industry creates more man-made greenhouse gasses than all forms of transport COMBINED).

Will "take no prisoners" Hart said...

It's good to see that you're well educated on the complimentary protein strategy (mixing beans/seeds/nuts with grains). It's very important to get all of the amino acids in close prximity. Well done.

Oso said...

Will,
I always thought it was interesting how indigenous people knew,I guess thru trial and error, to combine their food so that the various amino acids would balance out.Like corn and beans, maybe wheat and chickpeas ?

Will "take no prisoners" Hart said...

Those are excellent examples, Oso; corn and beans (succatash, for example), rice and beans, peanut butter sandwiches, chick peas and pasta - all excellent combos. We actually learned a lot about agriculture from the Native Americans. "Indian Givers" and other books by Jack Weatherford talk about it in detail.