Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Concern This

I'm not a concern troll, folks. On the contrary. I'm just a person on the blogosphere who doesn't necessarily perceive things as pure, black and white, etc..I mean, I know that that makes me a rarity and infuriating to people whose sole purpose in life is to get others to "join" them, validate a large percentage of their more cherried notions and all but, seriously, it is what it is, me-bucko. And to me at least, that translates to things a wee-bit more on the complicated side..............................................................Take, for instance, the left's extremely persistent mistrust of Wall Street/corporate America. I actually DO kind of share that mistrust. But I also tend to share the mistrust that conservatives have of the federal government. That's not exactly a smooth running and benevolent institution, either. And, yes, folks, because of these rather unseemly realities/dichotomies, the upshot, at least in my opinion, is a shit-load of rather difficult choices.............................................................So, please, folks, if it seems like I'm sometimes riding the fence here, arguing the merits (and demerits) of multiple sides, etc., yes, I implore you NOW, give the fellow a break from time to time. All it means is that I AM struggling. And if you don't want to listen to me, me-buckos, how about this little quote from President Obama? "If there were easy solutions out there, they already would have been tried."

6 comments:

Fans and Friends of Lydia Cornell said...

This is a really good post too.

But did you ever think about the fact that whenever Republicans are in power, they make sure government doesn't work properly because it's against everything they believe in? They run on that idea -- so under them, government doesn't work. They kill it. Look what happened with Katrina. Bush didn't fund FEMA, tried to kill it. He wanted to privatize the military, etc.

I just think health care is so vital that should not be privatized. Like the police force, fire dept, clean water, heating for houses. The luxury items of course -- but necessities in life like health, water, food and should not be something only the rich can afford.

Fans and Friends of Lydia Cornell said...

The only reason I'm blogging tonight is because I had a day off finally and wrote comedy with my girlfriends.

Could you send me a picture of you?

IrOnY RaGeD said...

Do Republicans staff the DMV, the unemployment office, the post office, etc?

Help I'm having a heart attack!

Here sir, fill out these forms in triplicate and go stand in that line for three hours. Then after they stamp the forms go stand in the other line for two hours and then wait while we do a cost analysis to see if the cost to save your life is worth the estimated time you have left to live anyway...

Yeah. That's what I want to see.

Will "take no prisoners" Hart said...

I agree with Lydia and Obama that we really need to work on universal coverage. But I do see your point, too, Volt. How 'bout what Romney and the legislature did in Mass? Was that not at least semi-private? Maybe something like that could work. And what about the plan that federal workers (not to mention those in Congress) have? Could that be made available on a sliding scale to those without plans at work. Of course, the downside of all this is that there would have to be some sort of mandate (you know, to prevent a guy who only wants to buy insurnace ONCE he gets sick). A very difficult issue, to be sure.

IrOnY RaGeD said...

Mass Health Care

Also, I'm not sure that forcing people who don't get insured to pay fines is a good example of liberty or freedom.

Auto insurance is one thing, driving is not necessarily unavoidable.

You can't help breathing from the time your born.

Will "take no prisoners" Hart said...

The thing is, though, once these people who refuse to carry insurance get sick, then WE end up paying for their care via Medicaid. There's no free lunch, either way.