Saturday, August 18, 2018

On the Solution to Internet Censorship

Yeah, I'm really struggling with this. On the one hand, you have these companies that are privately owned and so my first inclination is to let them do as they please but then I also recognize that these platforms have become borderline monopolies and are essentially utilities and so maybe a few guidelines are in order. If I had to make a choice here I would probably say no to regulation (I'm thinking back to the Tobacco Bill in which Phillip Morris's share of the market actually INCREASED) and really try to encourage these "controversial" content providers to set up shop elsewhere; sites like Gab, Bitchute, Vimeo, etc. and to also just flood YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, etc. with as much hate-mail as humanely possible. No, it may not succeed but, hey, recall Myspace?

No comments: