Saturday, October 16, 2010

Really? Yeah, Right

Some of these situation comedies on television are absolutely hilarious. Not because they're necessarily funny, mind you, but because of the absurdity of the assumptions involved. I mean, just look at the ridiculousness of some of these married "couples"; Jim Belushi with Courtney Thorne Smith ("According to Jim"), Kevin James with Leah Remini ("The King of Queens"), Michael Chiklis with Julie Benz (the upcoming "No Ordinary Family"), Cheryl Hines with Larry David ("Curb Your Enthusiasm"), all of those idiotic/ridiculous combinations in "Yes, Dear", "Still Standing", etc.. Do, folks, ANY of these combinations sound plausible? And it's frigging been like this FOR EVER; Elizabeth Montgomery with Dick York ("Bewitched"), Larry Hagman with Barbara Eden ("I Dream of Jeannie"), Whitney Blake with Don DeFore ("Hazel"), etc., etc.!....................................................................................................I mean, don't get me wrong here, folks. I wish to hell that life DID work this way (and, yeah, I guess that in some instances it ultimately does; Felicity Huffman and William H. Macy come to mind). But, come on, the absurdity of it, I'm saying - the pure, unadulterated absurdity of it.

2 comments:

Commander Zaius said...

All I can say on this one is that one of my best friends, now former, in my early National Guard Days was about as butt ugly as they come but was married to literally one of the sexiest women I have ever seen in real life.

"Katrina" could have been a model she had both the innocent allure of a the "Girl Next Door" and a vixen. Her personality was/is the perfection of Southern charm and grace. Yes, I thought she was hotter than hell.

The kicker in all this and worthy of one of my stories, mainly because it was totally true, my friend cheated on her several times over the years but stayed with the guy.

And damn straight if for a second she had ever suggested I could be with her it wouldn't have taken a microsecond for me to say yes and have our clothes off.

Will "take no prisoners" Hart said...

You know something, double b, the exact second after I wrote this, I, too, started thinking of examples. I guess that love very frequently IS BLIND.