Friday, September 24, 2010

"Something Something", With Will....

At the end of every Friday program, Olbermann has been reading these excerpts from his favorite James Thurber volume. Yeah, it's a little bit weird but, hey, why not? It's his show. He should be able to do whatever he wants to on it................................................................................................Which leads me to kind of wonder out loud a little. What kind of self-indulgent stuff would I put on a show if I ever had one? Hm, I don't know, folks. Me - I'd probably show a bunch of film-clips from my favorite Greta Garbo and Montgomery Clift movies; him in the row-boat with Shelley Winters, right before it capsizes in "A Place in the Sun", her in the old bar with John Gilbert, playfully pretending to be a boy in "Queen Christina", stuff like that.....Oh and, yeah, what about a little Burt Lancaster, too; that initial sermon of his in "Elmer Gantry", that boffo scene in "Atlantic City" when he finally gets to kill a guy (his reaction, remember? - "I did it! I really did it! Did you see me do it?")? Seriously, though, how frigging over-the-top cool would that be?....I gotta get me a show.

8 comments:

Commander Zaius said...

I'd do surf clips, mainly chicks, and talk about books and wilderness adventures. I'd also show funny home videos and play Buffett-like music.

Will "take no prisoners" Hart said...

The chick option is always an excellent option, double b. Me, though, being the sick son of a bitch that I am, I'd probably focus more on the deceased ladies; Vivien Leigh, Barbara Stanwyck, Hedy Lamarr, Olivia DeHavilland, etc.. You're right, though, the possibilities are totally endless.

Oso said...

Burt in Trapeze. Wasn't Gina Lollobrigida in it too? Tony Curtis as the young up and comer.

Will "take no prisoners" Hart said...

Yes, yes, and yes, Oso

Oso said...

Will, no particular reason other than it passed thru my mind but - Sophia Loren at the start of Boy on a Dolphin when she's diving in that yellow shirt? One of the great moments in cinema. I was a little kid and stunned when I first saw that on TV!

Will "take no prisoners" Hart said...

That would be an excellent film-clip for anybody's show, Oso.

Dervish Sanders said...

Mr. Olbermann said the reading of Thurber has received positive feedback, and that sales of the volume he has been reading from has gone up dramatically. If not the segment would have been dropped quickly.

He only does it on Friday, so I don't know what your gripe is. I don't even understand why you watch the show considering how much you dislike the man. Do you ever miss an episode?

It sounds like you don't, yet you apparently have no idea why KO is reading Thurber.

Will "take no prisoners" Hart said...

I have no gripe with Mr. Olbermann reading whatever he wants. Like I said, it's his show and he can do whatever he wants to on it......So, wd, what kind of quirky thing would you do if you had a show? I mean, that's kind of what the point was here, no?