Friday, September 17, 2010

Those Who Ignore History Are.....Well, They're Just Plain Stupid

VH1 just came out with their "top 100 artists of all time" rankings. And while, yes, I know that ALL of these lists are totally subjective (this one, for instance, had a numb-nuts the caliber of Justin Timberlake rated ahead of such legendary performers as Van Morrison and the Pretenders - that, and they didn't even have CCR listed at all) and shit, these characters did something completely beyond the pale. They actually put Elvis Presley at (GET THIS) number 8 - trailing such other "artists" as Michael Jackson (2), Led Zeppelin (3), and Prince (7 - yeah, they actually put him behind Prince). I mean, talk about an outrage/a bunch of frigging douche-bags totally ill equipped to see the entire picture.............................................................................................So, where, if not at number 8, SHOULD Mr. Presley have been ranked? Certainly in the top 5, no? I mean, think about it, for Christ. Even some of the acts that you COULD make a case for putting ahead of Elvis; Bob Dylan (5) and John Lennon (The Beatles - 1), for instance - these guys are on record as saying that the ONLY reason that they ever even picked up a guitar in the first place was, yeah, you got it, Elvis Presley. That, to me, speaks mega-volumes.............................................................................................P.S. Just for the record, I personally am not an Elvis fan. He just doesn't do it for me. But 1) he is the king and 2) there's never been an artist who's been more influential. It just doesn't make any sense at all for him to have been rated #8.

3 comments:

Commander Zaius said...

Its what you get when you leave stuff up to the current pop culture mentality. I try not to think about this frame of mind might bleed over to over more important issues.

Dervish Z Sanders said...

I think Justin Timberlake is da bomb. An excellent singer, songwriter, performer and actor... the whole package! I take extreme umbrage to your mega-diss (numb-nuts caliber!!!) of this, the consummate performer... You could say I'm his number one fan... I have all his CDs and DVDs... and a poster of him above my bed... my second "man crush" behind (or perhaps ahead of?) Keith Olberman (no, definitely behind Keith).

Or, that is what I might have written if I just said crazy shit to get a rise out of you and the "group" here, as Mrs. Rusty has claimed.

My real opinion is that Timberlake's songs suck hard. I don't care for his singing either. I do have some Elvis CDs, although I haven't listened to them in a long time. I also have the MJ greatest hits 2CD set and his "Dangerous" album.

I have zero CDs by those other artists you mention, except for the Beatles... I have all of their CDs, of course.

Billy Joel is my favorite artist... was he on the list? If not, then I agree that the VH1 ranking is total BS.

Will "take no prisoners" Hart said...

double b, I do believe that a bunch of more contemporary performers were in fact the judges. No doubt that that explains it.......You had me going there, wd. Maybe you do have a sense of humor after all......Yes, I think that Mr. Joel was on the list. No quite sure where, though.