Friday, January 15, 2010

Mass Approval

I just love the way that O'Reilly asks these rhetorical (well, at least to him, they're rhetorical)/self-congratulatory type questions. Take, for example, one recent episode. In responding to the criticism that Fox has garnered for hiring Sarah Palin, O'Reilly asked his guest (a sympathetic one, naturally) this little gem, "If the people over there (i.e., at MSNBC and CNN) are so intelligent, then why are their ratings (the holy-grail, according to O'Reilly) so pathetic?" And, yes, me-buckos, the fact that he always seems to have that smug little countenance, too. It was in fact Mr. O'Reilly, in a nut-shell...............................................................................................As to how I would have answered that particular question, I guess the main thing would have been to question the very premise of it. This, in that, yes, I would have pointed out to this "fellow" the meaninglessness of these ratings - IN GENERAL. Sylvester Stallone was a much bigger box-office draw than, say, Jeremy Irons. Does that mean Mr. Stallone was a better actor than Irons? Of course it doesn't! And what about Madonna? She's sold more records than Joni Mitchell and Tammy Wynette combined. Does that mean that SHE'S better? I'm thinking no. And, yes, me-buckos, the same thing goes for journalism, too. The fact that people watch O'Reilly's show more that they do Campbell Brown's - it means nothing! - well, other than the fact that O'Reilly is catering to folks, serving up to these folks as much of that red meat as possible. It has absolutely nothing to do with honesty/integrity - zilch!

2 comments:

Commander Zaius said...

I actually think I saw what you mentioned. At the end of my shift I normally hide in a room with a television and cruise the "new" channels. At that hour its either them or some guy trying to convince he can make me a millionaire for buying his scam of a book for a couple of hundred dollars.

But O'Reilly has surprised me at times with some actual clearheaded remarks. But you are right, both MSNBC and Fox cater to their audiences with what they want to hear. I'll give MSNBC a slight advantage in that their news briefs don't still push a ideological line.

With this institutional polarization none of this is good for the country. You have read my story about a second American civil war and while I still say I wasn't predicting anything I do see political violence coming not too many years down the road.

Of course both side will blame the other for starting it.

Will "take no prisoners" Hart said...

During much of the day, MSNBC is actually (or so it seems) doing straight news. It's only during prime time that the partisanship comes out (Matthews possibly accepted). Fox - they (except for Shep Smith), on the other hand, are constantly shilling, Democrats constantly put on the defensive, etc.. It's just like the lady in the Obama administration said, they're pretty much an arm of the Republican party.....As for Mr. O'Reilly, I pretty much agree with you. He does go through these periods when he's actually fair. Too bad he can't sustain it.