Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Finally, A Person to Look Up To

Whenever I see Bob Gates on television, I always think the same damn thing - namely, of just how infinitely better he is than his predecessor, Rumsfeld, was. I was particularly moved by that piece on him on "60 Minutes". I mean, talk about a sober and honest portrayal. I was especially struck by his response to that final question; "So, do you enjoy your job?" After reflecting for a few seconds/gathering himself, he proceeded to talk about the burdens - the penultimate, of course, his responsibility for having to tell family members about the death of their loved ones. His final words were, "No, to answer your question, I don't particularly enjoy my job." Wow, huh? Compare THAT to some of the stuff that Mr. Rumsfeld uttered, I dare you.

3 comments:

Commander Zaius said...

A decent and intelligent man in the highest levels of government?

He's got to be crazy somehow to work around those collection of weasels and fools.

Will "take no prisoners" Hart said...

If I were Obama, I'd do whatever I could to keep him around. Jim Jones, too.

Will "take no prisoners" Hart said...

Even putting policy aside, I just didn't like Rumsfeld's cavalier attitude regarding warfare. It especially gnawed at me near the end of his tenure.