Thursday, March 13, 2008

Sacred Cow

I'd like to make a few comments about Al Gore, folks. First of all, I do give the fellow kudos/respect for getting the topic of global-warming publicized. This, I'm saying, in that, even if (as certain detractors constantly point out) the role of man-made activity has in fact been exaggerated, the fact that we've so seriously desecrated the environment in general, certainly it's a topic worthy of discussion. My only beef is with the former V.P.'s rather myopic emphasis on what to do about it.....................................For instance (and, yes, from what I gather in that, no, I haven't seen the movie), Mr. Gore's emphasis is on improving gas-mileage and other forms of conservation. He doesn't (again, from what I gather) make a single reference to what the U.N. has clearly established as a leading cause of global-warming - namely, the livestock industry (yeah, that's right, folks, the meat industry produces 18% of all man-made greenhouse gasses, 33% more than the 13.5% produced by ALL FORMS OF TRANSPORT COMBINED!!). Nor, I'm saying, does he specify that the best single thing an individual can do to fight global warming is to, yes, damn it, eat a plant-based diet..................................I mean, I don't know, could it be that Mr. Gore is showing some ignorance here? I kind of rather doubt that. Could it be instead a geographical bias (a higher percentage of pig farms down south, etc.)? OR could it be that Mr. Gore himself is is simply unwilling give up HIS bacon, HIS ribs, HIS chicken pot pies, etc.?....................................Seriously, though, whatever it is, isn't it about time that those on the left had the balls to call Mr. Gore to the carpet here? This, I'm saying, in that, damn it all, is not the truth a hell of a lot more important than an icon?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK...Will. I am not so sure that mankinds part in this has been exagerated...your point about the meat industry underscores that we are indeed are large part of the issue. Up until now, I had no idea that the meat industry played such a factor in Global Warming. I'm not so sure Gore knew either. The NeoCons demonize Gore/The Issue NOT because the science is bad...it's because they HATE Gore and by extension, Liberals. Talk to youthis weekend. MK

Will "take no prisoners" Hart said...

I didn't say that mankind's part has been exaggerated. I conceded "even if", just to show that "even if" one WERE to concede that point (I, personally, do not), his bringing up of the issue was stll a valuable gesture. That's all. As for Gore NOT knowing this critical fact (if in fact that is the case), that would be troubling to me. I mean, he did make a movie, right?